Tuesday, November 30, 2010

creamed crabmeat

    When New Orleans is mentioned I immediately think of food, as I'm sure a lot of people do. Rich, creamy, decadent food. Shellfish, desserts, sauces, oh my! When I visited there ten years ago, I purchased a cook book. Its one of those paper backs with the plastic ring binder. It is the 1978 selection for January for the cookbook of the month club entitled," Recipes and Reminiscences of New Orleans." Alot of  knowledge in this book, for sure! Sometimes I am overwelmed at the beginning of the recipe, but the result is always oldfashioned goodness. I was in NOLA pre Katrina and can't wait to revisit that intriguing city.

Here is a recipe from Suzanne Artiqus Cangelosi

Creamed Crabmeat
 1 pound lump crabmeat
 1 4 ounce cream cheese
 1 4 ounce cheddar cheese, grated
 1/4 cup milk
 Bread crumbs

Mix crabmeat, cheese, milk and bits of cream cheese in casserole, adding more milk, a tablespoon at a time to make it creamy. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven an place in individual ramekins or seashells. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Reheat when ready to serve.

I usually keep it in the casserole dish and serve with bread, pita chips or crackers. Raw asparagus, red peppers and carrots make a good addition.

1 comment: