Tuesday, November 30, 2010

CAST IRON SKILLET PIZZA



In this pie I added grape tomatoes as well.
Ok, so I have made pizzas before. I just buy the dough let it rise add the toppings and bada bing, we have a pie. I think when I was 10 or so my family discovered Pizza Hut. It wasn't like any pizza I have had before. It was greasy, saucy, and cooked in a deep dish. Being from NJ, I was used to a pretty thin crust crispy delish pie. It was like they sprinked some kind of magic dust on the Pizza Hut pie because to look at it, I wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. I saw pools of grease on the cheese. The first bight I tasted oil but by  the second taste it was starting to get good. I could eat three pieces or more of that deep dish Pizza Hut pizza. It was addicting!

So, then I guess you could say that Pizza Hut was my first pizza chain experience. Didn't really take to it though, with it being like 5 miles away and in that distance there were at least 15 mom and pop pizza places they could write movies about. Now that I am older I try to recreate that pie for a change, less greasy of course. I find if I saute garlic onions peppers and mushrooms in the skillet first, remove the veggies from the pan, and then cook the pizza in that pan its extra tasty. So when you have your dough in the pan and add you favorite jarred sauce, I just spray the tiniest amount of spray olive oil to the crust. Ok, then add fresh mozz and provelone, sauteed veggies &fresh basil. Final touches. Microplane 2 cloves of garlic and sprinke on pie and then microplane fresh nutty parm cheese on the part of the crust where the pan touches it. add a good amount. Bake in a 450 oven for 12 to 15 minutes. set on rack for 5.


Not quite like Pizza Hut, but it does have that tasty factor going on that Pizza Hut did.

1 comment: